It’s been one year since FSLogix released FSLogix™ Profile Containers and won Best of Citrix Synergy 2015 for Desktop and Application Virtualization. We’ve had an incredible number of enterprises adopt the solution, often after piloting for just a few weeks. Many of these customers have such a firm belief in the future of virtual desktops that they had learned to live with super long logon times, or very substandard performance in mission critical applications like email. After a year of strong market adoption, we’ve demonstrated that our solution fills this void and fixes problems that have only gotten worse over the last decade.
We’ve released a lot of new features over the last year, but today we have a first to market announcement – we’ve taken a few of the award winning features from Profile Containers and FSLogix Apps and created a simple new drop-in solution called, FSLogix™ Office 365 Container for Citrix (patent pending). This allows admins to keep their existing UEM products in place, but (literally) drop-in support for roaming Office 365. Also, as far as we know, we are the only solution to correctly roam the Search Index on XenDesktop. In the past, best practices always dictated turning off indexing. Back in the days when IOPS were expensive turning off indexing reduced costs. Now that storage has become cheaper turning on indexing only makes sense if you can “take it with you”. That means that each time you log on you don’t have to re-index. We’re seeing some amazing numbers with respect to search. You will want to try it out in your XenDesktop environment.
If you have been keeping up with Office 365 then you know that it doesn’t roam correctly on XenApp and XenDesktop (non-persistent) for a couple of reasons:
* Outlook Office 365 requires that you use Cached Exchange Mode – the dreaded .OST problem. Current user environment management solutions, such as UPM (Citrix User Profile Manager) rely on Folder Redirection or shared CIFS files to store .OST files. Even with the modern storage and SMB 3.0 large files (larger than 3 days of mail) can get corrupted quite easily when stored on a CIFS share. With the Office 365 Container for Citrix the .OST files are stored using a fault tolerant, patent pending algorithm that places the .OST inside a .VHD or .VHDX file. This container is then loaded in-guest when the user first accesses Outlook. James Rankin has a great blog at http://appsensebigot.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-last-pieces-of-jigsaw-dealing-with.html describing the improvements in greater detail.
* The OneDrive cache is stored in %LOCALAPPDATA% which typically isn’t roamed. FSLogix proprietary technology can roam this efficiently and safely. Rob Beekmans describes it pretty well in his blog: http://robbeekmans.net/citrix/office-365-containers-citrix-fslogix/
* Skype for Business
By default, the password doesn’t roam in Skype for business. It also needs folders that reside in %LOCALAPPDATA%
To summarize, here’s why this is great:
2. Superfast, enterprise class email on all your virtual desktops
3. Cached Exchange Mode with large file support for OST, PST, PAB
4. Eliminate the constant deleting of corrupt OSTs
5. Works seamlessly with all your existing infrastructure
6. Drop-in, simple configuration, and GPO based management
7. Recover server and network capacity – and get rid of workarounds!
8. We’re selling it for a very affordable price
One of our largest enterprise customers recently estimated the email performance increase is saving their users an equivalent of almost 40 hours per year, and they’ll be at Synergy to talk about their experience. Since most enterprises are looking at making the switch to Office 365, we decided to provide just this critical support piece, at a price that made sense for everyone. We started FSLogix because we believe that great engineering and innovation can take virtual desktops to the next level, and we’ve got a large and growing list of customer using our solution to make virtual desktop performance on par with physical.
Every release of FSLogix will provide you large and immediate ROI with your virtual infrastructure, will simplify and streamline your environment, reduce costs, support an enterprise class digital workspace for your end users, and will help your team deliver strategic IT value to your business.
If you are at Synergy, please stop by Booth 729E and say hi to the team for me (TMI: I’m at home recuperating from Achilles’ tendon surgery). We look forward to being a part of your strategic IT vision for 2016.